Skip to main content

Massage in the Time of Covid, Part 2: What is Yomassage?

 


Mindfulness + Restorative Postures + Hands-On Massage Therapy

Yomassage combines the gentle stretches of restorative yoga with therapeutic touch and a focus on mindful breathing. Each session is an invitation to slow down, to reconnect with your body, and to practice mindful awareness. 

You are encouraged to relax for several minutes at a time in different seated or reclining poses, with blankets and bolsters to prop up limbs and help you unwind. Your Yomassage therapist performs skilled therapeutic massage on your back, arms, legs, or neck. Guided meditations and a focus on your breath deepen the stillness you feel. 

This is an inspiring new way to receive therapeutic touch that can feel safer or more accessible to many. Because Yomassage sessions are clothed, you can schedule private sessions in your own backyard or living room, or attend a class in a studio. It is a more affordable way to receive therapeutic touch than a traditional table massage session. It can also feel less intimidating than an unclothed massage for some. 

I am excited to share this new modality with you. When I first attended massage therapy school in 2002, I had a vision of making bodywork available to more people. I firmly believe that massage and safe, healthy touch are crucial components of self-care, not luxuries reserved for people who want pampering. 

Giving yourself time to relax, and to put down the weight of your worries for a moment, is vital in order to keep going. We are all experiencing so many levels of anxiety and stress and trauma in this year of change. Deep healing requires stopping to assess where we are, and where we want to be. 

Safety precautions for Yomassage are similar to what I follow for mobile massages: blankets and waterproof bolster covers are washed after each session, and yoga mats and blocks are disinfected between sessions. You also have the option to bring your own mat and/or blocks if that makes you feel more comfortable. Hand sanitizer is used before and after working on each client. Participants need to wear masks, as do I. During the pandemic, I will be only offering private sessions (which can be just you or include family members), but once it is safer to congregate indoors again I will also offer public classes. 

If you want a sneak peek of what a session is like, check out this segment from a news station in San Antonio, Texas. 


Picture an afternoon relaxation session with your family, or a couples session to connect with a loved one. Envision giving yourself the gift of time, and relaxation, and stillness. 

Ready to try it? Contact me and let's schedule your Yomassage session soon!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Massage in the Time of Covid-19, Part 1: Mobile Massage

So this is life during a pandemic. We're starting to emerge from our homes little by little, here in Arizona. What does this New Normal look like? What adjustments are you making, especially during this time of back to school and back to work? What is safe and not so safe?  Are you feeling like you need a massage yet?  I am starting to schedule clients again, since our local and state Covid case numbers are trending downward. Here is what you can expect if you schedule a mobile massage appointment with me.  First of all, I'm limiting my appointments to already established clients, at least while we navigate these first steps in the reopening process. As many of you know, I closed my brick and mortar office on Fort Lowell and Tucson Blvd earlier this summer. For now I will be doing mobile massage, which means coming to your homes for sessions. Eventually I will find office space on a very part-time basis in order to see those of you that don't have space or would rather sche

Massage in the Time of Covid, Part 3: Virtual Wellness Appointments

  Hello to all my wonderful clients! I thought it might be helpful to send you a short video to explain some of the ways that a virtual wellness appointment might be helpful for you. Of course, seeing you virtually is no substitute for a hands-on massage appointment, but there are still many ways that I can be there for you if hands-on appointments are not a good option for you right now. One of the main things I’ve been doing in virtual meetings so far is helping people augment their self-care practice. As you know, I’m a big fan of massage tools, and so I can show you different ways to use whatever tools you have. Depending on how I’m feeling on any particular day, I may use really small massage balls like these cork ones, I may use a foam roller or a Theracane, even a giant stability ball. It all depends on what I have available at the time and what parts of my body need the most attention. So we can go over what tools you have and ways that you can use those to get some relief.  An