Skip to main content

Massage in the Time of Covid-19, Part 1: Mobile Massage

So this is life during a pandemic. We're starting to emerge from our homes little by little, here in Arizona. What does this New Normal look like? What adjustments are you making, especially during this time of back to school and back to work? What is safe and not so safe? 

Are you feeling like you need a massage yet? 

I am starting to schedule clients again, since our local and state Covid case numbers are trending downward. Here is what you can expect if you schedule a mobile massage appointment with me. 



First of all, I'm limiting my appointments to already established clients, at least while we navigate these first steps in the reopening process. As many of you know, I closed my brick and mortar office on Fort Lowell and Tucson Blvd earlier this summer. For now I will be doing mobile massage, which means coming to your homes for sessions. Eventually I will find office space on a very part-time basis in order to see those of you that don't have space or would rather schedule an appointment away from home. That will likely be in a few months, when it's safer to be inside an office building with several people in it. 

During the past several months, I have spent a lot of time learning and applying the guidelines for safe practice that have been set out by the leaders in the massage therapy field. Associated Bodywork & Massage Professionals (my professional association) has provided incredibly helpful information to Licensed Massage Therapists so we can discern whether we can practice safely, and what protocols to follow once we do open up again. The Federation of State Massage Therapy Boards published a 45-page manual with guidelines for safe practice. I have been following OSHA, CDC and WHO information on how to return to work safely. I took an 8-hour continuing education course titled "Preventing Disease Transmission in a Massage Practice." 

Armed with all of this information, I have identified ways I can keep us as safe as possible (noting, of course, that any contact with others raises some risk). When you schedule an appointment with me, I will send you a Covid screening form to fill out before your session. The day before our appointment, I will check in with you about your answers on that form, your health concerns, and what you want to focus on during your session. This check-in before your appointment allows us to limit talking during the session. As we know by now, the virus can spread via respiratory droplets and therefore less talking while we're together allows for less opportunity for transmission. 

When I come to your house for your appointment, I will be wearing a mask the entire time and ask that you do the same. If you simply cannot wear a mask while you are face-down on the table, I can use a pillowcase as a sling under the face cradle. Then you put your mask back on before you turn over and are face-up on the table. I have a separate pair of work shoes to wear during appointments that I can disinfect, and I wear an apron to cover my clothes. When I am at your house I will need access to a bathroom or a sink to wash my hands, but I bring handwashing supplies with me so you don't have to wash anything after I leave. 

Here are the cleaning guidelines I am following for my equipment and supplies: 


Mobile Massage Cleaning/Disinfecting Checklist 


Linens

  • Laundered immediately after session with hot water and fabric safe bleach 

  • Folded on disinfected surface and sealed in individual packages

  • Stored in closed closet until time of use 


Equipment

  • Massage table/chair, bolster, rolling cart, therapist stool are cleaned and disinfected with EPA-approved products before and after each appointment 

  • Equipment kept at storage unit, away from house 

  • Supply box disinfected before and after each use 

  • Small equipment disinfected with alcohol wipes (infrared thermometer, credit card reader, phone, small accessories case) 


Massage Tools & Equipment 

  • Hot stones contraindicated during Covid pandemic; not used. 

  • Cups: contraindicated for Covid survivors due to clotting risks. Only used after consultation with existing clients as to risks involved. Cleaned and sterilized after each use. 

  • Hot towels: use of heat contraindicated during Covid pandemic; not used.

  • Each client gets their own 1oz bottle of oil or lotion which is wiped clean and left at their house to avoid cross-contamination. 


Best Practices

  • Wipe down equipment upon arrival. Dress table with pre-packaged linens. 

  • Wash hands according to CDC guidelines, and use alcohol-based hand sanitizer immediately before and after any skin contact with client. 

  • After session, put gloves on to remove linens and place in supply box or plastic bag. Personal items and cleaning supplies carried in separate bag. 

  • Wipe down equipment at client’s house and also when returning to storage unit.


Maybe this seems excessive to you. Maybe it seems like not enough. We all have different thresholds for what we are comfortable with, depending on our personal risk factors and experiences. I want you, my dear clients, to be as informed as possible about what practices I follow, so that you can feel safe with scheduling an appointment when you are ready to do so. I look forward to talking with you about what we can do to help you, and I really, really look forward to seeing you! 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Massage in the Time of Covid, Part 2: What is Yomassage?

  Mindfulness + Restorative Postures + Hands-On Massage Therapy Yomassage combines the gentle stretches of restorative yoga with therapeutic touch and a focus on mindful breathing. Each session is an invitation to slow down, to reconnect with your body, and to practice mindful awareness.  You are encouraged to relax for several minutes at a time in different seated or reclining poses, with blankets and bolsters to prop up limbs and help you unwind. Your Yomassage therapist performs skilled therapeutic massage on your back, arms, legs, or neck. Guided meditations and a focus on your breath deepen the stillness you feel.  This is an inspiring new way to receive therapeutic touch that can feel safer or more accessible to many. Because Yomassage sessions are clothed, you can schedule private sessions in your own backyard or living room, or attend a class in a studio. It is a more affordable way to receive therapeutic touch than a traditional table massage session. It can also feel less int

Massage in the Time of Covid, Part 3: Virtual Wellness Appointments

  Hello to all my wonderful clients! I thought it might be helpful to send you a short video to explain some of the ways that a virtual wellness appointment might be helpful for you. Of course, seeing you virtually is no substitute for a hands-on massage appointment, but there are still many ways that I can be there for you if hands-on appointments are not a good option for you right now. One of the main things I’ve been doing in virtual meetings so far is helping people augment their self-care practice. As you know, I’m a big fan of massage tools, and so I can show you different ways to use whatever tools you have. Depending on how I’m feeling on any particular day, I may use really small massage balls like these cork ones, I may use a foam roller or a Theracane, even a giant stability ball. It all depends on what I have available at the time and what parts of my body need the most attention. So we can go over what tools you have and ways that you can use those to get some relief.  An